Wednesday, June 24, 2020

"You Can't Catch Me"

Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, where she now practices law. Her bestselling novels include Spin, Arranged, Forgotten, Hidden, Smoke, The Good Liar and I'll Never Tell.

She applied the Page 69 Test to her new novel, You Can't Catch Me, and reported the following:
On page 69 of my new book, You Can't Catch Me, the protagonist, Jessica, is meeting with her friend Liam and a woman named Jessie in order to find out whether Jessie was defrauded by the same woman who defrauded Jessica.

This is a good test for what my book is about since it is the story of a woman who pursues the woman who defrauded her and finds a series of identically named victims. Jessie - full name also Jessica - is one of those victims. It also sets up some of the dynamics between Jessica and Liam that we'll see through the rest of the book; Jessica relies on Liam, a private investigator, to an extent, but never fully lets him in on her plans. And finally, it's also a good first glimpse into Jessie--a complicated woman who has her own secrets.

Verdict: I passed the page 69 test! (At least, I think I did.)
Visit Catherine McKenzie's website.

My Book, The Movie: You Can't Catch Me.

--Marshal Zeringue