Friday, March 13, 2015

"Remember"

Eileen Cook is a multi-published author with her novels appearing in eight different languages. Her books have been optioned for film and TV. She spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

Cook applied the Page 69 Test to her latest novel, Remember, and reported the following:
My answer is based off page 69 of the ARC version of the book as I don’t currently have a hardcover copy in the house. (I gave away my copies for some giveaways etc!)
Each house had a perfectly manicured lawn, some even with fountains. I felt awkward, the way I always did when someone saw my house for the first time, and I became hyperaware that it was huge. Like mansion huge. It wasn’t that I wanted to live in a trailer, but there were times I wished we just had a normal house.
On this page Harper is having Neil show up at her house for the first time. She feels awkward, both because she knows he hates her dad’s company, but also because she’s aware of the difference in their social status. Through the book she struggles with dealing with her family’s wealth (and resulting benefits) and her realization that these benefits may have come at an extreme cost. Harper has had a privileged existence and she is facing challenges she couldn’t even have imagined before. It would be easier for her to stick her head in the sand and imagine she doesn’t know what is going on, but she doesn’t do that. I hope readers fall in love with her courage as much as I did.
Visit Eileen Cook's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: Year of Mistaken Discoveries.

Coffee with a Canine: Eileen Cook & Cairo.

--Marshal Zeringue