Monday, April 21, 2014

"How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love"

Ken Baker is an E! Entertainment Television News Correspondent. He is the author of Fangirl, and his memoir, Man Made: A Memoir of My Body, is the inspiration for the upcoming film The Late Bloomer. He lives (and writes) in Hermosa Beach, California.

Baker applied the Page 69 Test to his new novel, How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love, and reported the following:
I think my book passes the Page 69 Test! In fact, readers of How I Got Skinny, Famous and Fell Madly in Love learn quite a lot about the narrator Emery Jackson in just the opening paragraph:
To say that most mornings I am “grumpy” would be an All-Star caliber understatement that could qualify me to play competitively in the NUL [National Understatement League]. In fact, it’s an understatement that ranks right up there with the following understatements:

· Angel really is not very smart.

· Mom overuses Botox and thus has fewer forehead lines than a toddler.

· Dad barely looks at Mom anymore no matter how much she Botoxes.

· I would die without any food for more than three hours.

· Highland High School lunches need larger portions.

· Marvin Harris is an old perv.
By just reading that paragraph, one can see that Emery has quite the point of view on the world around her and doesn’t pull any punches. As the story progresses, she starts applying that critical eye to herself, with insightful results.
Visit Ken Baker's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Writers Read: Ken Baker.

--Marshal Zeringue