Monday, October 14, 2019

"Panic"

Sasha Dawn teaches writing at community colleges and offers pro bono writing workshops to local schools. She lives in her native northern Illinois, where she collects tap shoes, fabric swatches, and tales of survival, and she harbors a crush on Thomas Jefferson. Her debut novel, Oblivion, was an Illinois Reads selection and one of the New York Public Library's best books for teens.

Dawn applied the Page 69 Test to her new novel, Panic, and reported the following:
Page 69:
It’s good to venture out. Take myself out the comfort zone.

Good practice for the day Dylan Thomas might be meeting his friend at the Factory again, when maybe I’ll catch a glimpse of him in person. Maybe he’ll be as beautiful as the words he writes, and I can enjoy looking at him from a distance.

Not in a creepy way. Or in a romantic way. Because I don’t get mixed up in romantic hassles.

But if I wanted to…maybe Dylan would be the kind of guy I’d fall for.

I meander over to Lyrically and read his bio again: Observer. Music lover. Quiet lurker.

I learned that much during our hours-long exchange. I’ve never felt as comfortable so quickly talking to someone I’ve never met before, and I think that’s because I know he doesn’t want to meet for coffee and take things to the next level.

Even if we happen to bump into each other, there will be no pressure to sit down and make small talk over lattes. Dylan values his privacy just like I value mine.
Page 69 takes us through the moment our protagonist, Madelaine Joseph, ventures out of her social comfort zone, but at the same time, establishes her boundaries. While her overarching struggles are much more complex than the exchanges on page 69 convey, the message is there to be applied to many of her frustrations, fears, and aspirations. We also learn a lot about Lainey on page 69. That she knows she needs to grow is forefront to her wanting to have deeper relationships with genuine people. Page 69 definitely pinpoints the basis of Lainey’s conflict, goal, and motivation.
Visit Sasha Dawn's website.

My Book, The Movie: Panic.

--Marshal Zeringue