Sunday, October 30, 2016

"Unblemished"

Once upon a time, Sara Ella dreamed she would marry a prince and live in a castle, and she did work for Disney! Now she spends her days throwing living room dance parties for her two princesses and conquering realms of her own imaginings. She believes “Happily Ever After is Never Far Away.”

Ella applied the Page 69 Test to her new novel, Unblemished, and reported the following:
Boy, did I luck out. I had to look at Page 69 of Unblemished before I agreed to this post. You know, just in case it wasn’t the greatest representation or draw. Fortunately, Page 69 falls at the beginning of chapter eight, right at the opening of Act II.
My back smashes wall. Joshua’s frame is a stalwart tower separating me from Jack Sparrow’s much older and less attractive cousin. Why do I get the feeling my shivers are caused, not by the chilled stone icing my skin through layers of clothing, but by grease-head’s frosty glare?

Joshua reaches back, wraps an arm around me, and draws me closer. “It hasn’t been long enough, Haman. And do not call me comrade. You betrayed the League of Guardians to follow Crowe and the Void. As far as I’m concerned, you were never on our side.”

Haman steps ashore, his gait slow and uninterested. “Details, details.” He smiles. A silver tooth fits like a single black key among a row of sparkling ivories. “I’m here for the girl. But you already knew that.” He sighs. “There’s no use stalling. You can’t win this, boy.” Haman titters. “The Void grows stronger each moment. With each heart that turns black. With each soul that gives in, my master moves closer to victory.” He laughs again, a mocking, disrespectful sound.

Joshua huffs. “You’ve chosen your side. As far as I’m concerned, you and Crowe deserve each other, you two-faced son of a swine.”

This time Haman snickers. “You have some nerve pointing out my shortcomings. Tell me, Joshua, how does it feel to be a murderer?”

Now he’s flat out lying.
This page is a major turning point for my main character, Eliyana. I don’t want to give too much away, but up until this scene she has sort of teetered between our world and the other realm she’s about to enter. Now she sees, Joshua isn’t just the boy next door. There really are villains out to get her. Basically, she’s not in Kansas—er, um, New York—anymore.

I’m not a huge fan of spoilers, and maybe you aren’t either, so I won’t explain too much here. This page is supposed to intrigue you to start the book at the beginning, remember? What I will say is this: Page 69 comes right after an exciting scene in the subway and just before a run-in with a couple of cool mythological creatures. Convinced yet? No? Fine, I’ll say one last thing...

Joshua is a nice guy. He really is. But Haman says he’s a murderer. Say what?! Not Joshua. Can’t be.

Or can it?

Guess you’ll have to read and see for yourself.
Visit Sara Ella's website.

--Marshal Zeringue