Sunday, January 3, 2016

"Jillian Cade: (Fake) Paranormal Investigator"

Emmy-nominated screenwriter Jen Klein is the author of the debut novel Jillian Cade: (Fake) Paranormal Investigator as well as the upcoming Shuffle, Repeat (May, 2016 from Random House). She lives in Los Angeles with a menagerie of boys and animals, all of whom are unruly and ill-behaved. Klein is currently a writer on the hit television show Grey’s Anatomy.

Klein applied the Page 69 Test to Jillian Cade: (Fake) Paranormal Investigator, and reported the following:
From Page 69:
Okay, so Sky was messing with me. I decided to play along, because maybe, at long last, this was a way to glimpse who he really was. “Okay, enlighten me. How do you get a succubus to stop screwing your guy?”

“Easy,” said Sky. “Kill her.”

“Excuse me?” I glanced around in case a passerby had heard his plan for paranormal murder.

“You know, make her dead.”

“I got that. I just didn’t—“

“Direct sunlight burns them. Like vampires.”

My hands flung themselves into the air. “That’s it. I’m out of here!” I marched toward my car, fuming. Just my luck that the first guy I’d been attracted to in… well, maybe in forever… was this guy. And I still wasn’t entirely sure that I wasn’t the one he wanted to make dead.
Page 69 of Jillian Cade falls within chapter 7, when Jillian has taken on a case that appears to be about a missing person. However, she is being followed/annoyed/“helped” by Sky Ramsey, who insists the missing person has been taken by a succubus. This page lets the readers get a glimpse of Jillian and Sky’s banter, as well as their different points of view about the case.
Visit Jen Klein's website.

--Marshal Zeringue