Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"Anything Could Happen"

Will Walton is a book-selling, pop music fanatic who grew up on a farm and now works at the Avid Bookshop in Athens, Georgia.

He applied the Page 69 Test to his new YA novel, Anything Could Happen, and reported the following:
Page 69 of Anything Could Happen is where Chapter 6 starts, so, sadly, the reader would only get half a page to go on. Still, there is a fair amount of intrigue located on that little half-page: a menacing note is mentioned offhand, as well as what’s referred to as “the King Kong adventure.” I’m also convinced that if the reader’s eye was to wander over to the adjacent page 68, they would be hooked. One of the best additions I made to the novel while revising is on that page: a note from Tretch’s older brother, Joe, to Tretch who has gotten home late.

Page 68/Chapter 5 closes out with Tretch’s response, and I think it’s pretty touching—if I do say so myself. So to anyone giving ACH the Page 69 Test, I guess my suggestion is to (slightly) cheat.
Visit Will Walton's website.

Writers Read: Will Walton.

--Marshal Zeringue