Thursday, December 20, 2012

"Found Guilty at Five"

Ann Purser was born in Market Harborough in Leicestershire, and livd most of her life in villages. She has turned her hand to many things, including journalism (as a columnist in She magazine), keeping hens and donkeys, running an art gallery, clerical assistant in a village school, Open University graduate, novelist, mother, grandmother, and wife.

Purser applied the Page 69 Test to her latest novel, Found Guilty at Five, and reported the following:
From page 69:
“So we know she`s alive!” He leant back in his chair, took a deep breath and managed a smile.

“Did you think she might not be? Is there something you`re not telling us, Jamie?”

He was silent for a minute or so, then said perhaps he should tell her something Akiko had told him. Lois nodded and waited…
This extract from Page 69 is about to give away some pivotal information about the direction of the plot, so although I won`t quote any more of it, I do hope that readers are curious enough to read on.

This page does in a way represent the rest of the book, in that – like all my detective stories – the plot moves fast. There are twists and turns, and mysteries that are not tidied up until the last few pages. I like to keep readers guessing! But for now, this last paragraph on page 69 is, I hope, good for a laugh. And I guarantee that the coarse image is the only one in the whole book …...
“Sounds very over-protected to me,” Lois replied. “Did she say anything else?”

“Nope,” said Jamie, “I`ve told you all I know. Anyway, I`m much more likely to find her there than if I wander about Farnden like a fart in a kettle.”
Found Guilty at Five tackles a ticklish issue of long-lasting attitudes between previously warring nations. This is the real nitty-gritty. Boy meets girl, one English, one Japanese. They are attracted to one another, but long forgotten prejudices emerge. In the end, it is not great issues of international tolerance that cause damage and loss of life, but the good old faithfuls – greed, ambition and envy.
Learn more about the book and author at Ann Purser's website.

--Marshal Zeringue