Saturday, February 19, 2011

"The Bird House"

Kelly Simmons is a former journalist and current novelist/advertising creative director. Her first novel, Standing Still debuted in February 2009.

She applied the Page 69 Test to her new novel, The Bird House, and reported the following:
Ah, the magic of page 69. In my new novel, The Bird House, a school genealogy project unlocks a series of connected family secrets between grandmother and granddaughter. And on page 69, Ann Harris, the 70-year-old narrator, learns that her 8 year-old granddaughter, Ellie, has decided to make “bird houses” the theme of her class project.

Here is Ann’s response:
“But a bird house is such a ... I don’t know ... such a small thing. In the scheme of a family and a heritage and a ... legacy.”

I tasted tears in my throat. Were they caused by her choice, or my own fumbling words? She knew nothing, so why did it matter, why did it hurt so much?

I breathed in sharply, willing it away. I was becoming a dreaded thing: a silly, sentimental, forgetful old woman.
The main secret alluded to, the emotional heft moves into focus, and the title is starting to make sense. A reader’s dream, all on one page.
Learn more about the book and author at Kelly Simmons' website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Standing Still.

My Book, The Movie: Standing Still.

Writers Read: Kelly Simmons.

--Marshal Zeringue