Tuesday, July 30, 2019

"Miracle Creek"

Angie Kim moved as a preteen from Seoul, South Korea, to the suburbs of Baltimore. She attended Stanford University and Harvard Law School, where she was an editor of the Harvard Law Review, then practiced as a trial lawyer at Williams & Connolly. Her stories have won the Glamour Essay Contest and the Wabash Prize in Fiction, and appeared in numerous publications including Vogue, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Salon, Slate, The Southern Review, Sycamore Review, The Asian American Literary Review, and PANK. She lives in northern Virginia with her husband and three sons.

Kim applied the Page 69 Test to Miracle Creek, her first novel, and reported the following:
Page 69 is completely different from the rest of Miracle Creek in one particular way: I added it to the story after the rest of the novel was written. Miracle Creek is written in close third-person, from the POVs of seven different characters. Page 69 is taken from the first chapter of Mary Yoo, the teenage daughter of the Korean immigrant family that anchors Miracle Creek. Mary is essentially me, when I first came over to the US from Seoul, S. Korea, with my parents when I was eleven. Page 69 is essentially an edited mix of personal essays I wrote about that time in my life, which were published in The Southern Review, Asian-American Literary Review, Gulf Stream, and Glamour. The rest of the novel, I wrote linearly, finishing one chapter before moving on to the next, but there were a few scenes I added after I finished drafting and revising the whole novel, and this entire page is one of those new scenes.
Visit Angie Kim's website.

My Book, The Movie: Miracle Creek.

--Marshal Zeringue